Associate Professor Stearns
Assistant Professor Cross
The department of Art & Design at Doane offers students a solid Liberal Arts education with several Art emphases to choose from:
- Liberal Arts Emphasis (Usually combined with another major: ex. Art/Business, Art/Theatre, Art/Biology);
- Professional Emphasis in studio arts allows students to acquire additional credits in anticipation of pursuing a graduate school degree;
- Art history emphasis which allows students to prepare for a grad degree in art history or museum studies;
- Certification emphasis which prepares students for K-12 teaching.
Student Learning Outcomes
As a result of completing the Art program, students will:
- Understand and integrate foundational elements and principles of art within a variety of disciplines through a multi-media environment.
- Develop an understanding and appreciation of the history of art while manifesting contemporary theory and practices through research.
- Develop innovative thinking and practice through exploration of social, cultural, and political issues/topics resulting in a personal aesthetic and artistic identity.
- Obtain and establish a strong visual literacy for becoming an informed visual evaluator and problem solver.
- Generate a creative philosophy and portfolio of artistic work congruent with professional practice.