Engineering Program Mission
The mission of the Doane University Bachelor of Science in Engineering program is to provide an exceptional engineering education integrated with the liberal arts that prepares students of diverse backgrounds for professional engineering or other careers through ethical service and creative intellectual inquiry.
Engineering Program Objectives
The Doane University Bachelor of Science in Engineering Program objectives are to:
- Help students pursue professional engineering or other careers.
- Develop student problem-solving skills that reflect a broad understanding of engineering disciplines and basic sciences.
- Prepare students to deliver successful engineering solutions.
- Develop student ability to work in multicultural and multidiscipline team work environments.
- Develop commitment to using education to benefit the lives of other people.
- Encourage lifelong learning in the engineering field through continuing education.
Engineering Program Educational Outcomes
Upon graduation from the Doane University Bachelor of Science in Engineering Program a student will demonstrate:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- an ability to communicate effectively
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in lifelong learning
- a knowledge of contemporary issues
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.