Jun 02, 2020
Requirements for the Elementary Education Major:
Complete the following cognates:
- ART 326 - Art in Elementary Schools (3)
3 credits of communication CMS course.
6 credits of English
- GEG 301 - Social-Cultural Geography (3)
- HHP 101 - Physical Activity Course (1) or HHP 106
- HHP 104 - Theory of Lifetime Fitness (1)
- HHP 450 - Health and Physical Education Methods for Elementary Students (PK-8) (2) (double majors of physical education and elementary education use HHP 458 )
- HIS 205 - History of the United States I (3) or HIS 206
- IST 201 - Instructional Technology (3)
- MTH 213 - Mathematics for Elementary Teachers I (3)
- MTH 214 - Mathematics for Elementary Teachers II (3)
An additional 3 credits of mathematics
- MUS 226 - Music and Movement for Young Children (3) (music majors use MUS 221 )
An additional 3 credits of fine arts (art, music, theater)
- PSI 101 - American Politics (3) or PSI 105 , PSI 216 , PSI 234
- PSY 117 - Introduction to Psychology (3) or SOC 109
7-8 credits of Science (BIO, CHM, EVS, GEG, GEO, PHY, PHS)
Elementary education majors who are also majoring in special education or who have an endorsement in early childhood are required to take EDS 207 . All other elementary education majors will take either EDS 207 or EDS 620 .
Nebraska Pre-Standard Certificate
To meet requirements for the Nebraska Pre-Standard Certificate with an endorsement in Elementary Education, the student must also complete 12 graduate credits at Doane in the summer immediately following graduation and prior to certification as follows:
Elementary Education with a middle school or early childhood endorsement:
Elementary Education with a second area of 7-12 or K-12 focus:
Students completing EDS 207 as an undergraduate student do not complete EDS 620 , but are individually advised as to which graduate course would be appropriate.
- Attain a grade point average of at least 2.80 in all education courses.
- Attain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.00.
- Receive the recommendation of the Teacher Education Committee.