Engineering Program Mission
The mission of the Doane University Bachelor of Science in Engineering program is to provide an exceptional engineering education integrated with the liberal arts that prepares students of diverse backgrounds for professional engineering or other careers through ethical service and creative intellectual inquiry.
Engineering Program Objectives
The Doane University Bachelor of Science in Engineering Program objectives are to:
- Help students pursue professional engineering or other careers.
- Develop student problem-solving skills that reflect a broad understanding of engineering disciplines and basic sciences.
- Prepare students to deliver successful engineering solutions.
- Develop student ability to work in multicultural and multidiscipline team work environments.
- Develop commitment to using education to benefit the lives of other people.
- Encourage lifelong learning in the engineering field through continuing education.
Engineering Program Educational Outcomes
Upon graduation from the Doane University Bachelor of Science in Engineering Program a student will demonstrate
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics;
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors;
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences;
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts;
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives;
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions; and
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Doane University's Bachelor of Science in Engineering program plans to seek specialized program accreditation through ABET. Obtaining this accreditation is not guaranteed and, if granted, may not occur in a timeframe in which to be applicable to your degree. Applicants should consider this information prior to application and enrollment.