Jun 21, 2024  

The Grading System




Graduate Credit - Course Numbering

The scholastic level of Graduate Education courses is indicated by the number.  Courses numbered below 500 are not available for graduate credit.  Courses numbered 500-599 are graduate level workshop courses, and do not apply to graduate degree programs.  Courses numbered 600-999 may be used for the graduate degree program.

Letter grades are used to evaluate a student’s performance in coursework.  These letter grades become part of the student’s permanent record.  The grade of A is used to indicate superior performance, the grade of B is used to indicate adequate performance, and grades of C, D and F are used to indicate performance that is below the minimal expectations for graduate students.


Computation of Grade-Point Average

The following policies apply to all graduate students in Education.

  1. Only courses numbered 600 and above taken in the Doane Graduate Studies program are used to compute a student’s cumulative grade-point average.
  2. All courses taken in the graduate program in Education will be used to compute the cumulative grade-point average.
  3. Transfer credit earned in other institutions will not be used in computing the cumulative grade-point average.


The university calculates grade point averages by assigning quality points to the respective grades as follows:


Grade               Quality Points

A+                   4.0

A                     4.0

A-                    3.7

B+                    3.3

B                      3.0

B-                    2.7

C+                    2.3

C                      2.0

C-                    1.7

D+                   1.3

D                     1.0

D-                    0.07

F                      0.0

Cumulative grade point averages are computed by dividing the total quality points earned by the divisor (total number of graded credits). Grades of Withdraw, Pass, Audit, and Incomplete are not included in this calculation.


Changes in Grades

After grades are submitted to the Registrar’s office, students are not allowed to submit any extra work or to ask for a reexamination of work in order to raise a grade.

A grade which has been reported by the instructor to the Registrar and recorded cannot be changed except in the following instances:

  • Error in grade:  An incorrect course grade will be changed by the Registrar when notified of the error by the course instructor. 
  • Student Appeal:  In the case of a successful student appeal under the established grade appeals policies, a grade is changed by the Registrar upon notification by the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

A student may not graduate from any graduate program with an “I” or “IP” remaining in a course in his/her program of study.  The conditions to be met in removing an incomplete are established by the course instructor.

A graduate student is in good academic standing if he/she maintains a graduate cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or higher. Those found not to be in good standing will at that time be reviewed by the Graduate Admissions and Retention Committee and a recommendation made to the Graduate Faculty concerning continued participation in the graduate education program.


Repeated Courses

The following guidelines apply if the student receives a grade below a B- in a graduate course:

  1. The course must be repeated in order to receive credit toward the degree.
  2. The student is allowed to repeat the course only once.
  3. The original grade is used in computing the graduate cumulative grade point average until the course is repeated and a grade is given.
  4. After the course is repeated, only the second grade is used in computing the student’s graduate cumulative grade point average.
  5. The credits and quality points earned for a repeated course are listed on the student’s grade report with the notation “repeat” and recorded on the student’s transcript in the usual manner except for the notation * beside the repeated course.
  6. Term averages are computed in the usual manner.
  7. All courses taken and grades earned are permanently recorded on the student’s transcript.


Incomplete Course Work

An Incomplete (I) may be given if a student is not able to complete the work required for a course by the last day of the course due to sickness or other extenuating circumstance that the student has discussed with the instructor.  When awarding an incomplete, the instructor will assign an expiration date no later than the following term. The latest expiration date for an Incomplete due to be removed in Fall semester is December 1: the latest expiration date for an Incomplete due to be removed in Spring semester is May 1; the latest date for an incomplete date to be removed for summer semester is July 15.  If the expiration date passes without a grade change from the instructor, the incomplete grade will automatically convert to an “F”.  This is a final grade and will not be changed, per the grade change policy.

In order to receive an incomplete (I), a student must have completed at least 75% of the coursework required for the course.


In Progress Grades

For courses such as practicums, final projects, directed studies, or internships intended to last longer than a single term, instructors can submit a grade of “In Progress” (IP) at the end of the first term.  The IP grade must be changed by the end of the following term.  The latest expiration date for an IP grade due to be removed in Fall semester is December 1: the latest expiration date for an IP grade due to be removed in Spring semester is May 1; the latest date for an IP grade due to be removed for summer semester is July 15. 


Audit of Course Work

Graduate students may audit an available course but they must receive permission from the Dean of the program or the Assistant to the Dean to do so.  Students do not receive any graduate credit for the audited course, and the grade assigned is an AU.  Any course audited by a graduate student may not be taken for credit at a later date.  The cost to audit a course is one half of the regular tuition charge per credit hour.  Additional fees may be assessed, depending on the course.  Once course registration has been completed, students cannot change from “audit” status to “credit” status or from “credit” to “audit.”


Withdrawal from a Course

Graduate students are expected to complete courses for which they have registered unless unusual circumstances require withdrawal.  Students desiring to withdraw from classes must notify the Graduate Studies in Education office.  Failure to follow this procedure will result in the awarding of a grade of F instead of a W.  The date of the withdrawal or drop of the course is one factor in determining a student’s grade and applicable refund.  In NO case is withdrawal possible after the last class meeting.  Informing the instructor that he/she no longer will be attending class does not meet the withdrawal requirements, and will result in a grade of “F” unless the Graduate Office is notified of the withdrawal.  For fall semester, withdrawal or dropping an online course after October 31 will result in a grade of “F” instead of a W.  For spring semester, withdrawal or dropping an online course after March 31 will result in a grade of “F” instead of a “W” and for summer, dropping or withdrawing from an online course after June 15 will result in a grade of “F” instead of a “W.”