Dec 08, 2023
Requirements for the Elementary Education Major:
Complete the following cognate courses:
- CMP 201 - Instructional Technology (3)
- 3 credits of communication CMS course.
- 6 credits of English
- GEG 301 - Social-Cultural Geography (3)
- HIS 205 - History of the United States I (3) or HIS 206
- MTH 213 - Mathematics for Elementary Teachers I (3)
- MTH 214 - Mathematics for Elementary Teachers II (3)
- An additional 3 credits of mathematics
- PED 101 - Physical Activity Course (1) or HHP 106
- PED 104 - Theory of Lifetime Fitness (1)
- PED 450 - Health and Physical Education Methods for Elementary Students (PK-8) (2) (double majors of physical education and elementary education use PED 458 )
- PSI 101 - American Politics (3) or PSI 105 , PSI 216 , PSI 234
- PSY 117 - Introduction to Psychology (3) or SOC 109
- 7-8 credits of Science (AST, BIO, CHM, EVS, GEG, GEO, PHY, PHS)
- An additional 3 credits of fine arts (art, music, theater)
Elementary education majors who are also majoring in special education or who have an endorsement in early childhood are required to take EDS 207 . All other elementary education majors will take either EDS 207 or EDS 620 .
Nebraska Pre-Standard Certificate
To meet requirements for the Nebraska Pre-Standard Certificate with an endorsement in Elementary Education, the student must also complete 12 graduate credits at Doane in the summer immediately following graduation and prior to certification as follows:
Elementary Education with a middle school or early childhood endorsement:
Elementary Education with a second area of 7-12 or K-12 focus:
Students completing EDS 207 as an undergraduate student do not complete EDS 620 , but are individually advised as to which graduate course would be appropriate.
- Attain a grade point average of at least 2.80 in all education courses.
- Attain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.00.
- Receive the recommendation of the Teacher Education Committee.